Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Brewer and Horford work out

Charles Garnder has an early report on Horford and Brewer's tryouts for the Bucks this afternoon. Dave Babcock, as always, talks a whole lot. Not sure how much of what he says you can believe, but he's sure no Ted Thompson. Some interesting bits:


"The workout is just a small piece of the puzzle for us," said Bucks director of player personnel Dave Babcock. "It would have been a better workout to have four guys and doing 2 on 2. But believe me, it did nothing to diminish our interest in Al Horford."


The Bucks long have been keenly interested in Horford, who they could plug in at power forward next to third-year center Andrew Bogut. If Milwaukee had stayed in the third position, it likely would have had the option to select the 6-foot-10 Horford in the June 28 draft.


But now Atlanta, Memphis and Boston are drafting ahead of the Bucks, who dropped to the sixth spot, thanks to the bouncing pingpong balls on draft lottery night.


"He's got a man's body," Babcock said of Horford. "Physically, he's probably the most ready to play in the NBA out of anybody, including (Greg) Oden and (Kevin) Durant."


It's possible the Bucks could trade up for Horford, but that might prove to be a difficult task."I would say the prospects for that happening are slim," Babcock said. "I don't think anyone is interested in talking, as of right now. You never know, but I wouldn't bet money on it."


Brewer showed the defensive skills that make him an appealing choice, even though he struggled with his shooting. It was his seventh and final workout for NBA teams, and in all of them he has battled 1-on-1 against other players.


"I feel like defensively I can make an immediate impact," the 6-8 shooting guard said. "I can bring a lot of energy and make some things happen."Offensively, I've got to work on a lot, creating my shot off the dribble. In transition, I can get my shot off athleticism, but I've got to learn to put it on the floor and create my own shot."

No comments: