Friday, June 29, 2007

The New York Knickerbockers


I thought the trade of nothing for Zach Randolph for nothing was very intriguing for the Knicks.

Hollinger (of J Holl Holl, as I call him) has some points that I verbally made when teh trade was going down, namely:

The combo of Randolph and Eddy Curry will be the worst defensive frontcourt in basketball, and meanwhile only one of them can post up at any given time. Yes, Randolph has a nice touch from outside, but that's not where the focus of his game should be. And the two of them both are poor passers from the low block, which means teammates won't benefit much from the double-teams they draw.

I don't fault Isiah for making this deal, because on talent alone it was probably too good to pass up, but I'm really interested to see whether he's going to keep Randolph. On the surface, it seems Randolph and Curry will diminish each other's production (not to mention the minutes of super-sub David Lee), and the gain will be far less than it appears on paper.


A couple of points:

David Lee was the perfect front court combo to Eddie Curry because Eddie Curry can't jump or try when he doesn't have the ball whereas David Lee doesn't really score, but does all things Curry sucks at. I hesitate, as the Knicks, to want to put David Lee on the bench for too long. Can about 30 minutes a piece for the 3 of them work, with unlimited low block scoring from the opponent when Lee is out of the game?

Anyway, I like David Lee and the Knicks just marginalized him. What could I be thinking right now? How about someone shitty with a bad contract from the Bucks for David Lee?

Bucks give up:
2008 first rounder and Dan Gadzuric
Knicks give up:
David Lee and a small bad contract?

I mean, he is not on the bench, right?

Can someone who is not stupid come up with a better way to squeeze David Lee of the Knicks (only if it is for the Bucks)?

Honestly, I think enough of Lee that I would give up Charlie V and a 2008 1st, but that might just be me. I love guys who don't need the ball who grab all of the rebounds that are possible.

ps - I got the David Lee picture from outsports.com
I will let you do with that what you will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, if both Curry and Zach are double-teamed in the paint, then that only leaves one guy to guard the other 3 players. I think even Zeke could figure out a scheme to take advantage of that situation.

Swo said...

That was just me riffing lat night. It was essentially just running of the top of my head.

Obviously that trade doesn't make any sense - but I would love for the Bucks to do a deal with Zeke because those tend to end well for those other teams. It is also ridiculous to not start a monster like D-Lee.

Anonymous said...

Dan Klein (NYC) tells me that all 3 will be on the court together as much as possible. So no need to worry about your buddy Lee.